Loading...
HomeMy Public PortalAboutPlanning Board Jan 5 2017 Minutes (PDF) Minutes of Planning Board Meeting, January 05, 2017 1 Rockport, Massachusetts Planning Board Minutes of Meeting, January 05, 2017 Rockport Town Hall Annex, 7:30 p.m. Present: General Meeting and Hearing, Town Hall Annex 7:30 p.m. Meeting comes to order with Herman S. Lilja, Chairman; Edward S. Hand, Jr. Vice - Chairman; and Henry T. Betts present. Cameron Smith and Terence Duffy absent. Kirk W Baker, Town Planner, present. Minutes are recorded by Mary Bourguignon, Secretary 1. 7:30 p.m. General Meeting and Discussion 2. Parcel Development (Woodland Acres) - Herm Lilja. Mr. Lilja opened the meeting by saying that regarding Woodland Acres he stated he does not have anything new to report. There is no proposal and he has nothing new to report in regards to the intent of Charing Cross Realty. All you know and all I know is what you have heard in butters meetings or you may have heard here from time to time when members of Charing Cross Realty have been here to present to us. As yet they have not bought the land. As yet they have not submitted an application to us for development, in any sense of the word. There are some individuals here who would like to speak; they will get their three minutes. An alarm will go off in three minutes that will remind you given the number of people here, given the fact this is not the only agenda item. We need to somehow contain the commentary here. Paul Murphy, Chairman, Board of Selectmen, spoke saying that he would like to address the Woodland Acres matter . Mr. Murphy said that the Board of Selectmen held two legally posted Executive Sessions and one site visit on Woodland Acres. The Open Meeting law allows for discussion of real property to be done in Executive Session so that the Town’s position is not compromised by discussing plans in public. The minutes of those two Executive Sessions, as they relate to Woodland Acres, are scheduled to be released by the Board of Selectmen on January 17, 2017. During one of those sessions on December 2, 2014 the Board of Selectmen heard a request from the Conservation Commission and Greenbelt regarding the price of the conservation restriction to be placed on the property that Greenbelt would purchase. At no time was there an offer to gift the property to the Town in memory of a former owner. That is fallacious. That is fallacious information. While the price of Greenbelt to purchase the property was less than what was asked for at a previous sale attempt, it was not a token amount. Moving forward, the jurisdiction over the proposed development of this property is with the Planning Board, as prescribed by law. Mr. Murphy said he has f ull faith that they will handle this matter in a fair and impartial manner. Next, individuals then spoke for or against this proposed development using their three minutes allowed to the full extent. Mr. Lilja thanked and complimented the individuals for c oming and refreshing their thinking. 3. Planners Update. Mr.Lilja said that Mr. Baker is going to be the Project Manager for the MAPC Project that the Planning Board was awarded. Mr. Baker said that he understands that there is a contract to sign with the MAPC, as well. Then we will figure out how to coordinate the funds that come from the Community Comp act. Mr. Lilja added that the Board still wants to postpone the individual sessions with residents until April or May. 4. Lighting By-Law Consolidation/Revision – Review (Hank Betts) Mr. Lilja said that the Board is going to postpone any further discussion of this bylaw until 2 weeks from now. 5. Update on Citizen Input for Key Topics in Master Plan – Herm Lilja. All Mr. Lilja wanted to say on this topic was that Mr. Smith, who was heading this up, will be back in a couple of months, so we will shelve this until then. 6. Draft Amendment to MGL Chapter 90, Section 39B and support thereof. (Herm Lilja). Mr. Lilja said the Board gave him authorization to write those letters. The letters have been written and he will send them around before they are sent off to Senator Tarr and Representative Ferrante. 7. Update on Bike Routes – Herm Lilja. The Complete Streets Program may be a source of funds. There is that effort on going with regards to bike routes. Mr. Lilja said he would like to see a plan for the Town that Minutes of Planning Board Meeting, January 05, 2017 2 suggests that people on bikes use certain routes in Town, not Route 127 and not Route 127A. The route that the walking/biking group wants to use is to some degree a route to go from nowhere to nowhere. The one road they are proposing is from Pleasant St., Rockport to Pond Rd., Gloucester. Janice Ramsden has indicated to one of the members that Mr. Lilja has been speaking with that there used to be a bike route map for the Town and resurrecting it should be possible, as it was part of a Chamber of Commerce distribution years ago. We will find that map and look at it. Mr. Lilja will meet with this group and they have to yet to come forth with a proposal He thinks they need our help and they will need the help of some other groups in Town. 8. Selection of Hearing Dates for Sewer Overlay District – Herm Lilja. Mr. Lilja said the hearing date for this needs to be done in January. There needs to be two hearing notices published in the paper, 7 and 14 days prior to the hearing, so that the hearing could possibly be held on January 26, 2017. After a short discussion the date of January 26, 2017 was picked for the hearing to be held. Legal notices will be submitted to run in the Gloucester Daily Times on January 12, 2017 and January 19, 2017. 9. Continuing Business, Liaison Reports, and Other Updates  Liaison Reports. Mr. Hand said the Green Committee has not gotten the official approval yet but they have been told to go ahead and start picking their project. They suspect that in a couple of weeks there will be an announcement that they will get their grant.  Updates from Members. No update from members. 10. Planning Board Administration  Approval of Bills. Invoice for Kirk W. Baker presented for payment. Mr. Hand made a motion to approve this invoice. Mr. Betts seconded the motion. All in favor.  Approval of Minutes. Minutes for October 20, 2016 and November 17, 2016 were presented for approval. Mr. Betts made a motion to approve both of these minutes. Mr. Hand seconded the motion. All in favor. 11. Adjournment. 10.16 p.m. Mr. Hand made a motion to adjourn. Mr. Betts seconded the motion. All in favor ______________________ _________________________ Herman S. Lilja, Chairman Date