Loading...
GAC Minutes 1988 07/05Golf Advisory Committee Meeting July 5, 1988 Present were committee members: Hormaechea, Williamson, Sproat, and Collins. Also in attendance were Laidlaw, Dripps, Men's association representative, Charlie Roberts, city accountant, Bob Hammonds, and Craig Jackson. OLD BUSINESS: Former member Medley's approval of Mike Shroeder's billing in regard to clubhouse brochures was approved by current committee members. The remaining minutes of the June 22 meeting were approved as written. NEW BUSINESS: Williamson made a motion to ammend the existing contract with Andy Laidlaw and to redirect the clubhouse design. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously. Laidlaw the presented the committee with a four phase plan. The first phase being a verbal discussion, the second; a schematic design, the third; a design development drawing with more detail then the second phase, and the fourth would be a cost estimate. The estimated cost being $29,000. This four phase plan will be proposed to Bud Schmidt. With direction from chairman Hormaechea, Laidlaw will begin work on redesign. Discussion on the redesign followed, with a general agreement by the committee members that an open room concept would be practical if it could be functional and still provide the desired atmosphere. The room concept would be capable of handling additional organizations, related or unrelated to golf course activities. The clubhouse could also be operated by one individual during slow periods. Three acres of concern, with respect to redesign, were then discussed with Laidlaw. All three topics were agreed upon. The first topic of discussion was locker -room and club storage facilities. Laidlaw suggested club storage being co-ed, accestable to adjacent bathrooms. A club repair bench and sink would be included. The club storage room would consist of 200 lockers with an adjacent room containing 100 small lockers for personal belongings. A card room was the second area of discussion. Sproat suggested a room with some degree of privacy to accomodate meetings, and other small gatherings. It was then agreed that a combination lounge and meeting room with an attractive separation between the two would be included in redesign. Cart storage was the final topic of discussion. Hormaechea directed Laidlaw to include in his redesign, a rental cart storage shed paralleling #5 fairway providing a buffer between the golf course and the parking lot. Private cart storage was tabled for future discussion. Bob Hammonds then presented his concerns with regard to administration of long term passes. Hormaechea directed Hammonds to present the committee with some new figures in correlation with the long term pass donations. The committee agreed the original fees were not acceptable. Thus, requiring a larger initial investment by prospect members wanting long term passes. Those people who have donated may be refunded at their option. Hammonds will contact those donating members. The committee then agreed the original brochure is no longer valid and redesign would be necessary. Hormaechea then directed the committee to redesign the brochure. The holders of original brochures will receive a letter explaining the redesign and restructuring of long term passes within 60 days. Everything donated following June 6, will then be accepted as a general donation towards club house development. A11 donations will be recognized in the clubhouse. Max Williamson and Bud Schmidt will write the letter to be sent out explaining the changes. The letter is out no later than July 18, 1988. The final half hour of discussion involved coarse maintenance. Chairman Hormaechea presented the committee with a cost estimate of $635.00 to repair the tree on ##2 tee. Charlie Roberts followed up with the approval by the men's association, to pay the cost of repair to the tree. The committee graciously accepted. A tree replacement program was suggested by Hormaechea. Approximately $150.00 per/1000 18 inch saplings, or three foot trees at $3.00 per tree, plus labor to dig the trees from Forest Service land. These suggestions by Hormaechea and the committee will be presented to the men's association. Sproat then discussed the possibility of purchasing 150 yard markers next spring with donations coming from the women's association. A cost estimate of $250.00 would include labor. The meeting concluded with three separate motions made by Williamson. The first motion would be to include in next years maintenance budget, a $0 - $20,000 category for major golf course improvements. A prioritized list of capital improvements, over a three year plan, will be presented to the committee by superintendant Craig Jackson in August. Collins second the motion and it was unanimously passed . Williamson's second motion endorsed the men's associations support if Craig Jackson and his crew's effort of maintenance on the golf course. Hormaechea second the motion and it unanimously was approved. The third motion made, was to allow access to putting green sod for the repair of greens. Sproat second the motion and the motion was unanimously approved. The next meeting date will 7:00 P.M. July 18 at City Hall. The meeting adjourned at 10:30 P.M. Dan Hormaechea, Golf Course Committee Advisory Chairman